Sunday 5 February 2017

Family Reunions

Yesterday I said goodbye to my Father-in-law. He was shaken to the core when we lost José, and sadly took the decision to stop some of the medical intervention he himself had been receiving. Being a man with strong faith I hope he has been reunited with his son, in a better world.


Attending the funeral was difficult, it was to be the first time I would see most of my in-laws since José's funeral. I found the funeral announcement on the church website and thought long and hard before going. I am a reminder of the family's tragic loss, and the relationship hasn't been smooth since José's accident. In times of grief it is easy for communication to break down and emotions to run high, leading to misinterpretations. I didn't know how I would be received, but I knew I hadn't been invited.

I decided to go, I wanted to say goodbye. I respected this man and loved his son. He had welcomed me, and had always been a gentleman. I wished to pay my respects in the church that was important to him. I tried to be discreet and I hope my presence did not cause unnecessary distress. A sad but necessary day. RIP Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment